Tuesday 22 April 2014

Tuesday Inspiration


In a little less than a week I am going to be another year older - 22.  That number seems strange to me.  In my mind I am the same 18 year old I was when Brett and I first met.  I don't feel four whole years older!  Lately life has seemed a little "blink and you'll miss it".  How is it that I am done term two of third year?  Celebrating another birthday?  Another seeding year is almost upon us?  Brett will be 25 this year!

I am probably more guilty than the average person of being preoccupied with the future.  I can frequently be heard talking about "Someday when _______ happens" or "Once I am finally done nursing school" or "When Brett and I start having kids".  I am starting to realise that maybe I should be spending more time enjoying today - it will truly be gone before I know it.

That isn't to say that dreams and big plans for the future need to be laid aside.  Something I pride myself on is my drive, my will to achieve my dreams.  But the future can't be all we live for after all.  Trace Adkins sings a song called "You're Gonna Miss This" (in case you haven't caught this by now I am a pretty big fan of country music).  The chorus goes like this:

You're gonna miss this,
You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna wish these days,
Hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times,
So take a good look around.
You may not know it now,
But you're gonna miss this.

I generally don't make New Year's resolutions, but this year I am going to make a "Birthday Resolution" (I'm not sure if that's a real thing, but just go with it).  I am going to start enjoying this time in our lives more.  And counting my blessings a little bit more, because we are truly blessed.  After all, this is the oldest I've been and the youngest I will ever be again, and that is something I should celebrate every day.

I hope you are all having a lovely week!

No comments:

Post a Comment