Thursday 27 March 2014

Heirloom Handkerchiefs



I remember when I was a kid, over at my grandma's house.  She had a whole drawer full of linens that she had hand embroidered when she was younger.  I could spend hours looking through those linens - they were just so beautiful.  I think that it would be sad if those arts from a more traditional time were lost with our generation.  So it is important to me to try be good at these crafts so that I can pass that on.  I am going to be making a set of heirloom handkerchiefs that I will post the lace pattern and embroidery pattern for on the blog.

What you will need:
1 yard light weight linen
Coordinating thread
Light blue embroidery floss
Apple green embroidery floss
Lace from this pattern

The Pattern:
1.  Cut your hankie square 12" X 12"
2.  Iron over the hem - this is done with a double hem technique, fold over 1/2" then fold over again
3.  Sew the hem
4.  Copy the following embroidery pattern, I would just trace this right off your computer screen


5.  The green part of the embroidery is done in a back stitch, and the blue is done in a satin stitch
6.  After you finish the embroidery, hand stitch on the lace

You are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment