Tuesday 17 December 2013

Tuesday Inspiration


Today this quote made me stop and think.  Sometimes I find that we get so focused on ourselves, or what is going on in our own lives that we forget to think about the good that we can be doing.  I know I am certainly guilty of this is in my own life.  As a nursing student, it is so easy to get caught up in the actual skills of nursing (practicing my IV starts, giving medications, etc.) that I can sometimes forget why I wanted to be a nurse in the first place: to make a real difference in someone's life.  It is easy to forget during day to day life the simple things you can do to make someone else's day better.

Sometimes I find it frustrating, living in the city, because we don't relate to people here the way that we do back home in our rural area.  Where I come from, you wave at everone you meet on the road and say hi to whoever you meet (whether you know them or not).  This isn't the case a lot of the times in the city.  But I never thought about how I could be the change I wanted to see.  Instead of being frustrated that no one is saying hi to or smiling at each other, why not say hi and smile myself?  I feel like this message is especially important around the Christmas season.  The holidays are a time of joy for a lot of people. However, for anyone experiencing a loss or going through a tough time in life, the Christmas season can be really hard.  You never know what the person next to you in the grocery line is going through; and you also never know what a simple smile or hello could do for their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment