Friday 19 September 2014

Gratitude // Oh Hey Friday Link Up



My first couple of weeks in community health has realized how much in my life I should be grateful for.  There are so many people in the world with so little, who still see the glass half full and not half empty.  It really makes me look at my life and how I can often slip in "glass half empty" mode and realize I should be counting my blessings a little more.  Even though Thanksgiving (for us Canadian's) is still a few weeks away, I was inspired to write today's Oh Hey Friday list about the five things I am most grateful for this week.

As usual I am linking up with The Farmer's Wife and September FARM - click on those links to check out more of the Oh Hey Friday link up.

1.  My mom. 


 For the past couple of weeks I have felt like I've needed more help than usual, and with Brett in the field, Mom has more than taken up the slack.  It is funny how no matter how old you are, you still need your mom.  Between making me feel better when I was homesick after having transferred universities (and having a small crying fit on the phone to her) and driving 30 minutes to cut tent worms out of our apple tree because Brett is in the field constantly and I am away at school, she has really gone the extra mile and I truly don't know what I would do without him.

2.  My awesome and hardworking husband.  I am so lucky to have a husband who will put in long hours of hard work to make sure that our company is a success and we are able to afford my schooling.  He is so supportive and loving - I know that I can go to him with any problem and have him listen.

3.  The good weather.  Finally we have had some sun and warmth after last week's cold spell finally left.  Brett and the guys have been able to get lots done in the field - thank goodness (so maybe we will actually done harvest before it snows).

4.  Transportation.  This one may seem really stupid.  But in my clinical I am working with so many people who can't afford gas for a car let alone a car itself.  I'm realizing how much I take for granted having a car and being able to afford to run/service it.  I don't think twice about driving the two hours home to the farm every weekend, or two and a half hours to my cousin's place for her birthday party.  It is such a minimal thing for so many of us, but we should be grateful because it isn't a given for many people in the world.

5.  Health.  It doesn't take much time in nursing school to realize how lucky you actually are to be healthy - both physically and mentally.  There are so many people in the world who live with illness (be it physical or mental) and have those illnesses interfering in their everyday lives.  Over the winter I had a minor day surgery on my toe and it was a huge ordeal to me - I was having panic attacks because of it for Pete's sake.  Looking back now, I can see that I reacted that way because I have been so blessed to have had good health (so blessed that I couldn't handle one small procedure that caused me a little pain and made it hard to walk).

What are you grateful for this week?  I think it is an important part of life to reflect on these things and realize how many good things we have in our lives, even if they are small.

No comments:

Post a Comment