Thursday 16 January 2014

Healthy Eating and Exercise Update

Source
Can I be the first to say that I have absolutely no ability to stick with a healthy eating/exercise plan over Christmas holidays??  However, holidays are over for another year so it is time to get back on track!  Brett and I have started going to the gym together which is a great motivator.  I am finding that I am on my own more with the healthy eating train.  It is hard to do by yourself, especially when all you really want is a big piece of cake (I have a serious weakness).  So, what am I doing to make sure I keep up with the healthy eating?

 Here are my top five motivators/tips:

1.  I pack my own lunch.  There are so many hidden calories/grams of sodium/grams of sugar in foods that you can buy in cafeterias.  Also, I make sure to pack my lunch the night before because otherwise I would never do it in the mornings.

2.  Read the labels.  As annoying as standing in a grocery aisle and reading/comparing every different kind of granola bar is, it is worth it to find out what is actually in the food you are eating.

3.  Remind yourself that it is worth it.  When you eat well, you feel better.  I've been sick less, felt better physically and mentally and I have simply just felt better about myself since I have started eating better.

4.  Have a healthy treat at the end of the night - something that actually feels like a treat.  For me, that is lactose free ice cream and occasionally some angel food cake too.  For anyone who is lactose intolerant, Chapman's makes a lactose free ice cream that is amazing!  I have had soy "ice cream" and it does not even compare to the real thing; this Chapman's ice cream is actual ice cream (minus the lactose).  Also, it's no sugar added, so it is a win-win.

5.  Try out the "My Fitness Pal App".  I love this app.  It makes it easy to keep track of how much exercise you're getting, what you've been eating, and how much water you've been drinking.  I find it much easier to stay motivated when I see my calories going in and calories going out.

I hope that you have a healthy New Year and continue checking into Live, Love and be Married blog!  I'm still working on that darn scarf...

No comments:

Post a Comment